Always call the NAEC engineering department before you dig. NAEC will come to your location to locate all underground lines and equipment to provide a means to safeguard against injury and loss of life, to protect public services, and to prevent damage to underground facilities by providing for prior notification of excavation and demolition activities.
Call 256-437-2281 or 1-800-572-2900 (Call two days before you dig)
The Benefits of Digging Safely
Digging, trenching, boring, augering, and blasting are all inherently dangerous to life and property. Even under ideal conditions with a minimum of underground utilities or other obstructions, the risk of potential damage is high. Unintentional damage to underground facilities during excavation is a significant cause of disruption in telecommunications, water supply, electric power and other vital public services, such as hospitals and air traffic control operations, and is a leading cause of natural gas and hazardous liquid pipeline accidents. Coordination, communication and cooperation between excavators, contractors, homeowners, and utility owners can reduce the risk of damage to utility facilities.
When a contractor, excavator or homeowner plans their work, works their plan and calls for underground utility locates in a timely manner, there are many benefits for all to realize:
- Reduce the chance of personal injury to employees and citizens.
- Maintain uninterrupted utility service to the citizens of Alabama.
- Reduce insurance premium payments.
- Reduce Worker’s Compensation payments.
- Reduce non-productive down time.
- Optimize job-scheduling activities.
- Reduce overtime payments.
- Reduce damages to expensive excavating equipment.
- Reduce or eliminate the payment of property damage claims.