Earth Day provides an annual opportunity for people around the world to make positive changes that can improve our environment. At North Alabama Electric Cooperative, the day is a reminder that being good stewards of the environment is part of our commitment to bringing our members safe, reliable and affordable power.
Electricity can provide a cleaner way to power vehicles and appliances that have traditionally depended on fossil fuels. In fact, according to the Environmental and Energy Study Institute, a shift to full electrification for homes, businesses and transportation could reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 70%.
Try making these small changes around your house to be more efficient this Earth Day:
- Turn off the lights when leaving a room.
- Unplug appliances and other electronics when you aren’t using them.
- Adjust the temperature of your water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs.
Looking for more ways to reduce your carbon footprint on Earth Day and beyond?
- Use environmentally friendly, nontoxic cleaning products.
- Carpool or ride a bike to school or work.
- Recycle paper, plastic and glass. Stop using single-use plastics like bottles, bags and straws. 7Switch to online billing to save trees and the fuel it takes to deliver your bills.
- Use reusable bottles and mugs for water and coffee.
- Conserve water by only watering your lawn early in the morning or late at night.
- Set your thermostat 2 degrees lower in the winter and 2 degrees higher in the summer. 7Use rechargeable batteries, and recycle batteries from small appliances and electronics.