Extension cord safety tips
An extension cord can be a useful resource to have around your home, but it’s one that should be used safely and with the proper precautions. Follow these simple safety tips when using an extension cord in or outside of your home.
- Never plug an extension cord into another extension cord.
- Make sure you’re using the right type of extension cord for your project.
- Never use an inside extension cord outside, and vice versa.
- Never alter a plug or force a plug to fit in an outlet.
- Use extension cords approved by an independent testing lab.
- Use GFCI protection when using extension cords outside.
- Don’t run an extension cord through water or snow.
- Always inspect cords for damage before use.
- Don’t cover an extension cord.
- Only use extension cords temporarily.
If you find you’re using extension cords often, you might consider installing additional outlets in your home as a safety precaution.